Sunday, October 28, 2012

Legit Dates

I have had a few young men recently ask me what I mean when I say that I like "legit dates." Here is my response to the world and these young men.

Legit date- (Lu-jit dait) -verb.
An action where a young man takes a young woman out for a night to an activity where they can converse and get to know each other to see if they are compatible for marriage. One date, however, does not mean that there needs to be any sort of commitment for long term nor any obligation on the part of either party. It's just a date.

Elder Oaks said: "Knowledgeable observers report that dating has nearly disappeared from college campuses and among young adults generally. It has been replaced by something called “hanging out.” You young people apparently know what this is, but I will describe it for the benefit of those of us who are middle-aged or older and otherwise uninformed. Hanging out consists of numbers of young men and young women joining together in some group activity. It is very different from dating.

For the benefit of some of you who are not middle-aged or older, I also may need to describe what dating is. Unlike hanging out, dating is not a team sport. Dating is pairing off to experience the kind of one-on-one association and temporary commitment that can lead to marriage in some rare and treasured cases."

Now, you young single men out there, go take a young single girl out on a legit date.

No comments: